Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A Trip to the Dentist

It all started last winter....

I chipped a molar, it didn't hurt so I decided to wait to get it fixed. It's hard to find time to go to the dentist over the holidays and why pay my deductible at the end of the year.

Finally I went in for my normal cleaning and of course the dentist confirmed a chunk of my tooth was missing. Unfortunately the missing piece was on top of a filling, which meant nothing to me until the dentist explained he would need to drill out some or all of the filling to fix my tooth.

Last week I went in for the appointment. After looking at the tooth he said it was a very sensitive part of the mouth and getting the injection to numb the area would probably cause more pain than just drilling. He left the decision up to me, but let me know he would go slow and if there was any sensitivity he would stop drilling and give me the injection to numb the area.

Well he was right, he was able to drill and fill and it really didn't hurt at all. I left feeling pretty darn bad ass - I mean really, how many people can get dental work like that without a little something to numb the area?

As it turns out apparently lots of people....I told Michael about my appointment and then it happened - *pop* he totally burst my bubble. He goes to the same dentist and last year he had to get work done, and guess what....the dentist gave him the same line almost verbatim. Obviously our dentist figured out that most dental work must not require numbing agents, so he saves time and money by talking his patients in to not using them. In all fairness it really didn't hurt and it was nice to walk out of the office without a face that was half numb. But I think it's funny how good he is at selling the idea.