Monday, March 12, 2007

Book Recommendation

I received this book for my birthday, once I started reading I couldn't put it down.

In To Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

It's about climbing Mt. Everest. The book jacket provides a nice summary:

"This is the terrifying story of what really happened that fateful day at the top of the world, during what would be the deadliest season in the history of Everest. In this harrowing yet breathtaking narrative, Krakauer takes the reader along with his ill-fated expedition, step by precarious step from Kathmandu to the mountain's pinnacle where, plagued by a combination of hubris, greed, poor judgement, and plain bad luck, they would fall prey to the mountain's unpredictable fury."

This isn't my usual book genre, but maybe because it is so different and so real is why I found it interesting.

Now I'm completely hooked on Everest. We rented the IMAX movie, Expedition Everest. It was filmed the same season as Krakuer's quest. The IMAX team was lower on the mountain during the tragic storm - they helped with rescue efforts and shared carefully stocked supplies with stranded climbers. The film imagery is amazing and watching how it was made is truly incredible.

Now I want to visit Kathmandu. I don't need to climb Everest - seeing the movie was enough for me. It also got me thinking about other places/things I want to visit/see - the Great Wall in China, Mt. Fuji, Easter Island, the coast of Croatia, the Northern Lights are all on my list.

With the weather warming up Michael and I have plans to do some local trips - Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. That should help control the wanderlust.

So many places to go, so little vacation time.