Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sprinkles

I received something new in the mail yesterday - a can of Sprinkles cupcake mix!

Turns out 'Sprinkles' is a cupcake bakery in Beverly Hills. They claim their "freshly baked treats have inspired long lines of devoted Hollywood stars and serious epicureans alike."


They sell their cupcake mix through Williams and Sonoma. I was lucky enough to have Bex send me a batch.


The cupcake mix is packaged in this really fabulous container. I just had to try it right away!


The batter was easy enough to assemble - one thing I found interesting, it was made with one whole egg and 2 eggs whites. The egg whites made the batter less dense and more spongy when baked.
I followed their recipe (included in the package) for frosting and of course used their signature 'Modern Dot' to finish the tasty little cakes. The frosting was the perfect consistency - I will definitely use this recipe for butter cream frosting again.
Here is the finished product:

My frosting skills have improved, no? I'm getting that bakery technique perfected.

Sprinkles bakery uses a unique dot color combination for each flavor of cupcake. They also only bake certain flavors on each day of the week - check out the flavor availability matrix at

www.sprinklescupcakes.com

Apparently they have a small kitchen and even if you special order you can only get the cupcake flavors available on the day you pick up your order. I like the concept and of course now I want to try the original. But what day do I go?