Thursday, March 06, 2008

Chelsea Piers Driving Range

Last Friday we braved the freezing weather to hit golf balls at the Chelsea Piers driving range. It was the last night of special rates offered in the month of Feb, and I didn't want some snow and wind to keep me from missing out on a good deal.

You have probably seen this driving range on TV or in the movies - the golfers hit balls from boxes that are stacked on top of each other. It's an ingenious set up, allowing many people to hit golf balls in a relatively small space.

Instead of a bucket of balls you buy a card, like the one below. It is good for a certain amount of balls. Once you are in your heated stall, you put the card in the slot of a machine and the golf ball pops out of a hole in front of you. When you hit the ball, out pops another ball and they keep coming until you run out of credits or you pull your card.






I was hitting balls like crazy - both really fast and all over the place. Michael was much more careful with his shots. It's been a long time since I've hit a golf ball and I pretty much forget everything I'm supposed to do. I was getting a little better towards the end, but I need some practice before hitting any actual courses.

After dinner we hit up the brew pub next door and had a great beer and a good dinner and watched the snow fall. While we were protected from the elements while hitting balls, getting home wasn't so nice. By the time we got home we were covered in snow and freezing.

The night was a blast and I can't wait to go back.

Check out all the other stuff to do at Chelsea Piers:
http://www.chelseapiers.com/