Sunday, March 07, 2010

Runner's Log 3.7.10

Or Hooray for Hollywood!

Central Park - 9 miles in 2 hours. Awesome. 4.5 mph pace - good enough to keep me from being swept.

It is an amazingly beautiful day here today. Bright blue skies and in the low 50's. I was very warm running, I could have been in a short sleeve shirt and been very comfortable. I was thinking how just two weeks ago the park was covered in snow and there were more people there sledding than running/walking/biking. Today I think most of NYC was out in the park exercising.

Sighted: a racoon! It was big and cruising through the bushes just west of the Delacorte Theatre. Quite a few people spotted it and several were taking photos. It was cute and so surprising to see out during the day.

I basically did 1 and 1/2 loops around the park - I wanted to do all 9 miles in the park and I decided to skip the Reservoir as I wasn't sure if it would be runnable. Because it is 1 mile to and from the park I actually did 11 miles today. I was pretty slow walking to and from the park, I'm counting those as official miles but it's nice to know I did almost the full half marathon distance of 13.1 miles.

Two weeks before the race. I really need to focus on my training, getting plenty of sleep, and eating well the next two weeks.

As my reward for a successful run today I am watching the Oscar's all afternoon. I plan to make real popcorn - the kind you pop in a pot on the stove with oil, butter, and salt! And I have lobster mac 'n cheese for dinner (leftover from dinner at Fish last night - so delicious I can hardly stand it. A thick white cheese sauce dotted with black pepper for a touch of heat that perfectly offsets the creaminess of the sauce and filled with chuncks of sweet lobster meat). I can't think of a better way to spend the rest of the day.