Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show - Feb 2013


My birthday went to the dogs! That's right - this year I got to do something I have always wanted to do, go to the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.

I found the tickets through Stub Hub; they were being sold by a Kennel Club member. The very fancy, glossy, heavy card stock tickets were also delivered with a program and a short handwritten note. It made me want to write the seller directly and let her know the tickets were going to a true fan. (I didn't, but maybe she'll read this and recognize the seats.)



I wasn't sure what to wear, when I watch the show on tv people can be dressed pretty fancy. I ended up wearing black pants, a pink peplum top, and a black sequin jacket. Most people in my section were very casual but I was pleased with my outfit because I looked pulled together but not over dressed. Arriving the first night there was a lovely woman dressed in a blue silk suit with open toe sandals and a matching blue silk hat. Clearly she was not taking the C train to MSG, she was being dropped off at the front door by her driver. Managed to catch her again on the second night - she was wearing black suit with thick off white trim, black hose, black satin pointy toe kitten heels, and a black hat with cream trim, rhinestones, and feathers. The closer people sat to the judges, the nicer they were dressed. There were men in tuxedos and women in cocktail dresses in the very front viewing area.

The view from the seats - the same side as the judges and not too far away from the main floor. I was pleased.



All of the dogs were so well behaved and so beautiful. I wanted to take them all home with me!




It's the golden retriever - she didn't win!


The press area. Who is covering the dog show? Why are there so many people in the press area?

The cats were pretty mad I was at a dog show, until I told them dogs actually let themselves be judged by humans - and we all had a good laugh.