Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Winter Storm Warning Cancelled

Now it's a Blizzard Warning!

It is definitely snowing this morning. The flakes are coming down fast and furious, the wind is blowing, and there is snow accumulation.

Weather.com cancelled their winter storm warning and upgraded to a blizzard warning:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY. THE SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET AT TIMES THIS MORNING... BUT WILL OTHERWISE BE HEAVY AT TIMES DURING THE DAY... WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR POSSIBLE. SOME SOUTH COASTAL LOCATIONS COULD MIX WITH RAIN THIS MORNING.
BY THE TIME SNOW ENDS TONIGHT... TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 16 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED.


The good news is, according to one of our building security team, because our flight leaves so late (8:45pm) we have nothing to worry about. He said the snow will stop by mid-day and they will have the runways clear by that time of night. Based on that bit of good news I am going about my day business as usual. The crazy thing is he may be totally correct. When I got up just after 7am you could see the flakes swirling around. It is almost 8am now and the wind had died down, visibility has increased, and the flakes are falling much more gently.

Of course I am totally behind and I don't even have a pack list yet. I'm going to try and do just a carry-on bag. But I think I should bring an extra bag in case I find something I just have to bring home.