Sunday, April 29, 2007

I Touched Tim Gunn!!

What would motivate me to get off my couch and fight traffic for over an hour to drive down to Hillcrest on a Saturday evening? The answer would be, not too many things, but the chance to meet Tim Gunn, Project Runway mentor extraordinaire, is definitely one of them! Tim and his co-author, Kate Moloney were signing copies of his new book, "Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style." After about a 40 minute wait, I was at the table where Tim and Kate were signing books and posing for pictures with their numerous fans. (Hence my giddy call to Kristin as soon as I left the store [and the inspiration for the title of this post], "I touched Tim Gunn!!")


Tim is much like he seems on television: charming, collected and very put-together. I was, of course, a little tongue-tied in his presence (hello, it's Tim), but I did thank him for not giving in to the publisher's demands to "dumb down" the language in the book. Tim said it was, "their line in the sand." Your challenge for the day, straight from page 158, "Chacun à son goût."


The book is very enjoyable, like having a conversation with Tim about how to be the best you that you can be. It is written with wit and humor and you can almost hear Tim's voice in your head as you read it. Thanks to Kristin for alerting me to this opportunity, and now, in the immortal words of Tim Gunn, "Carry on."